For my fiance’s 30th birthday recently I made a krispy kreme birthday cake with 60 doughnuts (and lots of candles and sparklers)! It was quite something and went down a storm. Homer Simpson would have been proud.
For the doughnut obsessed bride and groom why not have a doughnut cake instead of the traditional tiered wedding cake?
Here’s how to create a Krispy Kreme cake with instructions from the Krispy Kreme website:
The following instructions are based on using 2 dozen Original Glazed doughnuts and will result in formation of a ‘pyramid’ construction.
You will need a flat platter on which to assemble the cake:
1. Place six doughnuts in a ring formation
2. Fill in the space in the middle with one full doughnut
3. Cut one doughnut in pieces to fill any spaces in the first layer.
4. Place icing on top of this layer so it adheres to layer 2
5. Place five doughnuts on top of layer 1 again in a ring formation slightly inwards from the edge of layer 1
6. Place one doughnut inside the ring
7. If there are any gaps, cut a doughnut in pieces and place in the gaps
8. Keep layering in the same manner until you get to the crescent remembering to use one less doughnut in each layer to achieve the ‘pyramid’ effect and to bring the layer inward slightly from the edge of the lower layer.
9. Place one doughnut on top of the cake as the final layer.
10. Here is where you can let all your creativity flow. Melt chocolate and drizzle over the outside, pipe cream into any gaps, use fruits to decorate such as raspberries & strawberries or just shake some icing sugar over your cake.
You may choose to use our Chocolate Iced Sprinkled doughnuts to decorate, by putting icing on the bottom of the doughnuts and attaching to the outside of the cake.
Adding your personal touches makes the cake all the more special.
11. Eat and enjoy!